Hero of my youth, Andre Thornton owns the top seed facing a panoply of stars including Giancarlo Stanton, Gary Redus, Juan Samuel, Eddie Joost, Buddy Myer, Gary Gaetti, and Hall-of-Famer Bill Mazeroski. Only the top 4, plus anyone with at least a .500 record, will advance.
Round One S72
Round One S31
Round One S04
Round One S01
Round One S51
Round One S48
Round One S10
Round One S14
Giancarlo Stanton dominated in the season, joining the 100 Win Club in and finishing 22 games ahead of second-place Gary Redus. Buddy Myer and Eddie Joost will also be moving on to Round Three. Sadly, we bid farewell to Andre “Thunder” Thornton, Hall-of-Famer Bill Mazeroski, Juan Samuel, and Gary Gaetti.
- Juan Samuel2 had 19 triples on the year. The team had 100 more.
- Surprise! Walter Johnson2 of the Buddy Myer team led the league with 312 strikeouts. Walter Johnson1 pitching for Mazeroski had 309.
- On August 1, Juan Samuel defeated Buddy Myer 2-1 in 17 innings. This was hardly noteworthy due to the game between Bill Mazeroski and Eddie Joost. Knotted at 1 after 9 innings, each team scored runs in the 20th, 23rd, and 28th innings before Maz won it with a 2-run blast in the 29th inning. The teams combined for 199 at-bats and 37 hits.
- Giancarlo Stanton3 had two 3-homer games, as did another Stanton, two different Andre Thorntons, and Juan Samuel3.
- Andre Dawson8 had a 3-homer game.
- Garret Anderson4 had a 7-RBI game.
- No No-hitters but…
6/26 Walter Johnson2 of Buddy Myer vs. threw 11 perfect innings (16 inning game) against Gary Gaetti before giving away to Satchel Paige2 in relief. Lee Smith2 lost it in the 16th.