In a season that promises some fireworks, top seed Sammy Sosa takes on Hall-of-Famers Ernie Banks, Brooks Robinson, and Rabbit Maranville plus offensive threats Luis Gonzalez, Shano Collins, Miguel Tejada, and Omar Moreno. Top 4 and all over .500 advance to Round Three.
Round One S29
Round One S36
Round One S63
Round One S60
Shano Collins (16)
Round One S22
Round One S21
Round One S17
Round One S58
At the beginning of August, Omar Moreno was 12 games over .500. Despite his fade, he hung on for a fourth-place finish behind the big three at the top. Ernie Banks took the season with 95 victories. Tejada, Robinson, Maranville, and Collins are eliminated.
- Luis Gonzalez led all teams with a .226 batting average but it was a tight race with the league averaging .219.
- Sammy Sosa led all teams with 245 home runs with fellow Cub Ernie Banks close behind with 209.
- Omar Moreno stole 421 bases as a team.
- One of the Omar Morenos ripped 20 triples on the season.
- Sammy Sosa8 slammed 37 round-trippers.
- 6 of the pitchers had sub-2.00 ERAs.
- Ol’ Pete Alexander2 had 10 shutouts on the year for Luis Gonzalez but was surpassed by Walter Johnson7 of the Shano Collins team who had 11.
- Luis Gonzalez8 had 6 hits in 10 at-bats in a 22-inning game vs Miguel Tejada.
- In another 22-inning game, Omar Moreno9 struck out 6 times in 8 at-bats.
- Brooks Robinson2 had a 3-homer game vs Tejada.
- Bob Gibson4 of the Omar Moreno team no-hit Sammy Sosa and Walter Johnson2 of Luis Gonzalez tossed a no-no against Shano Collins.
- Randy Johnson, hurling for Brooks Robinson, had a 17-strikeout performance against Sammy Sosa.