Charlie Keller is ranked number one in this season and tries to repeat his Round One success. There are no Hall-of-Famers but some very solid all-around hitters in Jose Cruz, Juan Pierre, Bill Bruton, and Josh Hamilton plus .311 lifetime Bing Miller and 19th century stolen base specialists, John Anderson and Walt Wilmot. Who moves on and who doesn’t? 154 games will tell the tale.
Played as: Charlie Keller
Full Name: Charles Ernest Keller
Nicknames: King Kong
Played as: Jose Cruz
Full Name: José Cruz Dilan
Played as: Juan Pierre
Full Name: Juan D’Vaughn Pierre
Played as: Bill Bruton
Full Name: William Haron Bruton
Nicknames: Bullet Bill, Streak
Played as: Josh Hamilton
Full Name: Joshua Holt Hamilton
Nicknames: The Great Hambino, Hammer, Hambone, The Natural, Big Country
Played as: Bing Miller
Full Name: Edmund John Miller
Nicknames: “Bing” was a childhood nickname based on a comic strip character
Played as: John Anderson
Full Name: John Joseph Anderson
Nicknames: Honest John, Long John, Big John, Swedish Apollo
Played as: Walt Wilmot
Full Name: Walter Robert Wilmot
This sounds vaguely familiar… Charlie Keller proved his 97 first-round victories were no fluke, totting up an impressive 108 this season, dominating the league in team home runs. Cruz, Miller, and Bruton round out the top four finishers and qualify for automatic seeding in Round 5. Despite leading in team stolen bases by a large margin, Juan Pierre just couldn’t put enough into the “W” column. Josh Hamilton had a positive run differential, so he may get into Round 5 as well. We will have to see how things shake out. In any event, he and the others will get a second chance in Round 4.
- Bing Miller9 took the batting title with a .317 average.
- Charlie Keller4 led with 38 HRs and 99 RBIs.
- Juan Pierre had 10 players with 50+ stolen bases and Pierre3 led everyone with 112 SBs. Bruton5 was 31-0 in SB attempts.
- Cy Young2 went 28-5 for the Charlie Keller team and notched 320.1 innings.
- Trevor Hoffman2 got into 63 games for Keller, saving 41. Bruton’s Hoffman saved 42 to lead the league.
- Jose Cruz defeated Juan Pierre 3-0 in a 23-inning marathon. That’s a lot of zeros!
- Charlie Keller4 and John Anderson3 had 3-Home Run games. Anderson3 only had 6 HRs on the season!
None. There were 2 one-hitters both tossed by a Pedro Martinez.