Hall of Famers Jim O’Rourke and Billy Williams wrap up Round 3 in a season featuring old-timers and modern stars. Joe Judge, John Stone, and Ed Morgan cover the old days, and Chuck Knoblauch, Jay Buhner, and Troy Glaus hold down the new. Which will prevail? Only a 152-game schedule will tell the tale. Top 4 to Round 5.
Played as: Jim O’Rourke
Full Name: James Henry O’Rourke
Nicknames: Orator Jim
Played as: Billy Williams
Full Name: Billy Leo Williams
Nicknames: Sweet Swingin’ Billy from Whistler, Sweet Williams, Sweet Billy
Played as: Joe Judge
Full Name: Joseph Ignatius Judge
Played as: John Stone
Full Name: John Thomas Stone
Played as: Jay Buhner
Full Name: Jay Campbell Buhner
Played as: Ed Morgan
Full Name: Edward Carre Morgan
Nicknames: Honest John, Long John, Big John, Swedish Apollo
Played as: Troy Glaus
Full Name: Troy Edward Glaus
Nicknames: Big Dog
John Stone held off late charges by Jim O’Rourke and Billy Williams to hang on for the pennant. Joe Judge finished fourth to grab the final Round 5 slot. Morgan, Knoblauch, Glaus, and Buhner face elimination or salvation in Round 4.
- Jim O’Rourke led all teams in hitting, with O’Rourke4 grabbing the batting title with a .316 average.
- Billy Williams8 led with 32 HRs.
- Chuck Knoblauch had 10 players with 46 or more stolen bases and Knoblauch3 led everyone with 62 SBs.
- Cy Young4 went 28-10 for the O’Rourke team.
- Trevor Hoffman6 got into 60 games for John Stone, saving 43. Eddie Morgan’s Hoffman2 saved 44 to lead the league.
- Jay Buhner defeated Joe Judge 7-5 in a 22-inning marathon. After falling behind 5-3 in the top of the 22nd, Buhner99 won the game with a walk-off grand slam.
- Billy Williams shutout Troy Glaus, 16-0.
- Billy Williams9 had a 3-Home Run game.
None. There were 6 one-hitters.