Power expected this season as Hall-of-Famers Hank Greenberg, Eddie Mathews, and Travis Jackson test their mettle against Will Clark, Kevin Mitchell, Brian Downing, Bob Meusel, and Eddie Stanky. 154 games will show who advances and who does not.
Played as: Hank Greenberg
Full Name: Henry Benjamin Greenberg
Nicknames: Hammerin’ Hank, Hankus Pankus, The Hebrew Hammer, Greenie, King Kong, The Big Moose, Lanky
Played as: Eddie Mathews
Full Name: Edwin Lee Mathews
Nicknames: Eddie Mattress, Cap’n Eddie, Santa Barbara Bomber, Brookfield Bomber
Played as: Will Clark
Full Name: William Nuschler Clark
Nicknames: Will the Thrill, The Natura
Played as: Kevin Mitchell
Full Name: Kevin Darnell Mitchell
Nicknames: World, Mitchell Monster, Boogie Bear, Tatonka
Played as: Brian Downing
Full Name: Brian Jay Downing
Nicknames: The Incredible Hulk
Played as: Bob Meusel
Full Name: Robert William Meusel
Nicknames: Long Bob, Languid, Silent Bob, (was part of the 1927 Yankees Murderer’s Row)
Played as: Eddie Stanky
Full Name: Edward Raymond Stanky
Nicknames: The Brat (originally “The Brat from Kensington”), Muggsy, Stinky
Played as: Travis Jackson
Full Name: Travis Calvin Jackson
It was a fight to the finish as Eddie Mathews and Hank Greenberg both made it to the century mark with one game each left on their schedules. While Greenberg was losing to Stanky, Mathews picked up a final victory, tagging Will Clarks Allie Reynolds7 for 3 home runs in his 3 innings of work. Meusel and Mitchell also lost their last games, remaining tied with Clark for third place. Jackson and Downing join Stanky in the Round 4 elimination round while the top 5 finishers advance to Round 5.
- Will Clark3 took the batting title with a .313 average.
- Hank Greenberg8 led the league with 46 HRs and 99 RBIs.
- Eddie Mathews3 scored 101 runs while Mathews90 led the league with 100 RBI.
- Pedro Martinez6 had a 1.89 ERA for Travis Jackson, .6 runs better than the second-place finisher (who was also a Pedro Martinez).
- Trevor Hoffman4 got into 61 games for Greenberg, also leading the league with 45 saves.
- Hank Greenberg pounded out 26 hits in a 13-2 drubbing of Travis Jackson.
- Bob Meusel (22) and Will Clark (15) combined for 37 hits in a game won by Meusel, 14-4.
- Larry French6 of the Travis Jackson team got lit up for 11 runs in 3 innings vs. Kevin Mitchell.
- Clark7, Mathews5, Mitchell8, and Mathews90 had 3-Home Run games.
- Martinez3 of Eddie Stanky had 18 strikeouts vs. Hank Greenberg in a 9 2/3 innings outing that he lost via a 3-run homer in the bottom of the 10th. Martinez1 of Brian Downing also notched 18 Ks vs. Greenberg in 9 innings.
8/ 6 Pedro Martinez2 of the Eddie Mathews team vs. Eddie Stanky