Questionable Hall-of-Famer Ross Youngs, whose career was cut short by Bright’s Disease, is our top seed. He is joined by fellow New York Giant Sam Mertes and a trio of Cincinnati Reds: Ken Griffey Sr, Pat Duncan, and Tommy Harper, as well as Denny Lyons, Taffy Wright, and Bill Buckner.
Played as: Ross Youngs
Full Name: Royce Middlebrook Youngs
Played as: Denny Lyons
Full Name: Dennis Patrick Aloysius Lyons
Played as: Sam Mertes
Full Name: Samuel Blair Mertes
Nicknames: Sandow, Mertes the Spiker
Played as: Ken Griffey Sr.
Full Name: George Kenneth Griffey
Played as: Pat Duncan
Full Name: Louis Baird Duncan
Nicknames: He was Irish and it was the 19-teens, so he got “Pat.” It could have just as easily been “Paddy” or “Mick.”
Played as: Taffy Wright
Full Name: Taft Shedron Wright
Nicknames: William Howard Taft was president when he was born
Played as: Tommy Harper
Full Name: Tommy Harper
Played as: Bill Buckner
Full Name: William Joseph Buckner
Nicknames: Billy Buck
As if in response to the Hall-of-Fame question, Ross Youngs delivered, finishing a healthy 10 games ahead of second place Denny Lyons. Mertes and Wright join them in Round 5 while Griffey, Harper, Duncan, and Buckner try their luck in the Round 4 second chance/elimination round.
- The top batter was Ross Youngs7 with a healthy .339 average.
- Not a lot of power this season with Lyons6 and Harper 4 tying for the league lead with a paltry 16 HRs.
- Sam Mertes6 had a 20-game hitting streak.
- Pedro Martinez4 tossed 10 shutouts and had a 1.73 ERA for the Ross Youngs team.
- Denny Lyons9 hit for the cycle and had 8 RBIs in a 16-4 rout of Taffy Wright.
None. But there were 4 one-hitters, three of them tossed by Pedro Martinez4.