Pete Browning’s lifetime .341 batting average highlights a season that features Hall-of-Famers Deacon White and Gabby Hartnett. Also in the mix are Yankee star Bernie Williams, Gashouse Gang member Pepper Martin, the Tigers Norm Cash, Lance Johnson, and Bobby Grich.
Played as: Pete Browning
Full Name: Louis Rogers Browning
Nicknames: The Louisville Slugger, Gladiator, Red Light District Pete
Played as: Deacon White
Full Name: James Laurie White
Nicknames: “Deacon” came about due to his being the son of a preacher and his “silver-tongued oratory.”
Played as: Gabby Hartnett
Full Name: Charles Leo Hartnett
Nicknames: Old Tomato Face, “Gabby” came because he was quiet and unpretentious
Played as: Pepper Martin
Full Name: Johnny Leonard Roosevelt Martin
Nicknames: The Wild Horse Of The Osage, “Pepper” may have been due to his daring base running and constant chatter
Played as: Norm Cash
Full Name: Norman Dalton Cash
Nicknames: Stormin’ Norman
Played as: Lance Johnson
Full Name: Kenneth Lance Johnson
Nicknames: One Dog
Played as: Bobby Grich
Full Name: Robert Anthony Grich
Nicknames: Bird, Lizard
Pete Browning lost on opening day and then reeled off 6 straight victories before cruising the rest of the way to the pennant. Martin, Cash, and Hartnett fought for second place right down to the last week of the season. They head to Round 5 while the others face elimination in Round 4.
- Pete Browning led all teams in batting average with Browning9 copping the batting title with a .322 average.
- Hartnett3 and Norm Cash tied for the league lead with 31 home runs.
- Lance Johnson had 166 team triples; 10 Johnsons had 12 or more for the season with Johnson6 leading the league with 23.
- Pete Browning had a 22-game hitting streak.
- Trevor Hoffman7 got into 60 games for Browning with a league-leading 45 saves.
- Pepper Martin2, Gabby Hartnett6, Gabby Hartnett99, and Norm Cash99 had 3-Home Run games.
4/24 Pedro Martinez5 of Norm Cash vs. Bernie Williams
7/ 1 Pedro Martinez4 of Lance Johnson vs. Gabby Hartnett