We’ve got three Hall-of-Famers in this season and one “For Sure” HOFer. Al Simmons leads the field along with fellow Cooperstown alums, Dave Winfield and Luis Aparicio. They are joined by the very modern Mike Trout and Steve Finley, mid-century star Gil Hodges, and nineteenth-century stars Fred Dunlap and Paul Hines. Top four finishers are guaranteed a trip to Round 5.
Played as: Al Simmons
Full Name: Aloysius Harry Simmons Born: Alois Szymanski
Nicknames: Bucketfoot Al
Played as: Fred Dunlap
Full Name: Frederick C. Dunlap
Nicknames: Sure Shot Fred, King Fred, The King of Second Basemen
Played as: Gil Hodges
Full Name: Gilbert Raymond Hodges
Nicknames: The Miracle Worker
Played as: Luis Aparicio
Full Name: Luis Ernesto Aparicio
Nicknames: Little Louie
Played as: Paul Hines
Full Name: Paul Aloysius Hines
Al Simmons led in batting average and home runs, leading to an impressive 101 win season. Not far behind was present superstar Mike Trout, who had the best run differential, just six games back. Winfield and Finley join them in Round 5. The others take their chances in Round 4.
- While two Simmons’ and a Hines had a photo finish with .293 averages, Simmons7 took the batting title with a .2932 average.
- Simmons8, 4, and 3 tied for the lead with 37 HRs.
- Al Simmons had a 21-game hitting streak and Dunlap8 ended the season on a 16 game skein.
- Ted Lyons6 lost 31 games for the Paul Hines team.
- Pedro Martinez5 had a 1.91 ERA for Mike Trout. His 8 shutouts no doubt helped.
- Al Simmons3 and Al Simmons9 had 3-Home Run games, Simmons9 garnering 8 RBI in the contest.
8/26 Pedro Martinez3 had a perfect game for Fred Dunlap vs. Luis Aparicio.