No Hall-of-Famers in this season but certainly plenty of potential. George Selkirk has the top seed and while he is no Babe Ruth, who he replaced in the Yankee lineup, he surely can get on base. We’ll also see early power hitter Jack Fournier and the Giant’s Larry Doyle face up with modern power hitters Ted Kluszewski, Eric Davis, Nelson Cruz, and Jose Bautista plus speedster Otis Nixon.
Played as: George Selkirk
Full Name: George Alexander Selkirk
Played as: Otis Nixon
Full Name: Otis Junior Nixon
Played as: Jack Fournier
Full Name: John Frank Fournier (Some sources have his birth name as Jacques)
Played as: Ted Kluszewski
Full Name: Theodore Bernard Kluszewski
Nicknames: Big Klu
Played as: Larry Doyle
Full Name: Lawrence Joseph Doyle
Nicknames: Laughing Larry
Played as: Eric Davis
Full Name: Eric Keith Davis
Nicknames: Eric the Red, E
Jack Fournier improved tremendously on his Round One totals, roaring to first place with 101 wins, well ahead of second-place George Selkirk. Jose Bautista finished third and if either Doyle or Davis had won on the last day of the season, the other would not have made Round 5. The others head to Round 4 for a final crack at qualifying.
- Ted Kluszewski3 was the only Klu to make the top 12 in batting average and he took the batting title with a .303 average.
- Selkirk8 led with 35 HRs, a much lower total than I would have expected for the league leader.
- All nine Otis Nixons had 90+ stolen bases and Nixon3 led everyone with 126 SBs.
- Ted Kluszewski had two different games in which he stroked 23 hits.
- Kluszewski99 and Selkirk5 had 3-Home Run games.
7/31 Pedro Martinez7, pitching for Big Klu, tossed a perfect game against Nelson Cruz.