Hall-of-Famer Paul Waner is the odds-on favorite this season, facing fellow Cooperstown inductees Bid McPhee and Joe Tinker, in addition to a bunch of dead-ball era players, such as Hub Collins, Ed McKean, Herman Long, and the nefarious Hal Chase. 21st-Century All-Star Shawn Green is along for a little spice. It takes a top-4 finish to guarantee a slot in Round 5.
Played as: Paul Waner
Full Name: Paul Glee Waner
Nicknames: Big Poison
Played as: Hub Collins
Full Name: Hubert B. Collins
Played as: Bid McPhee
Full Name: John Alexander McPhee
Played as: Ed McKean
Full Name: Edwin John McKean
Played as: Herman Long
Full Name: Herman C. Long
Nicknames: Germany, Flying Dutchman
Played as: Hal Chase
Full Name: Harold Homer Chase
Nicknames: Prince Hal, The Prince
Played as: Joe Tinker
Full Name: Joseph Bert Tinker
Paul Waner had a decisive first-place finish but the battle for second through seventh was waged until the final week of the season. In fact, with a single game left on their schedules, Shawn Green, Hub Collins, and Bid McPhee had identical 76-77 records. Had Herman Long defeated Collins, there would have been a 3-way tie for fourth. Although they failed to qualify, McPhee and Long had positive run differentials which gives them each an outside chance to skip ahead to Round 5. Despite finishing second in batting average, Hal Chase finished dead last. He must have thrown a few games during the season.
- Paul Waner led all teams in hitting with Waner5 winning the batting title with a .314 average.
- Long8 had a 23-game hitting streak and Waner4 ended the season on an 18 game tear.
- Shawn Green defeated Herman Long 1-0 in a 22-inning game.
- Hub Collins shutout Joe Tinker 15-0.
- The fans got their money’s worth as Paul Waner and Shawn Green combined for 37 hits in a nine-inning game, Green going down 18-6. Green: 6 13 1 Waner: 18 24 0 .
6/24 Pedro Martinez of the Bid McPhee team no-hit Hub Collins on 102 pitches, striking out 12 and walking one.