Future Hall-of-Famer, Albert Pujols takes on current Cooperstown enshrinees Lou Boudreau and Joe Torre (in as a manager) and a solid batch of contenders including Maury Wills, Elmer Valo, Fred Lynn, Johnny Pesky, and baseball pioneer Ross Barnes (he of the .360 lifetime batting average!). 154 games will tell us who moves forward and who heads to the minors.
Played as: Albert Pujols
Full Name: Jose Alberto Pujols
Nicknames: Prince Albert, Phat Albert, Sir Albert, The Machine, Big Al, El Hombre, The Mang, (along with Jim Edmonds and Scott Rolen) MV3
Played as: Lou Boudreau
Full Name: Louis Boudreau
Nicknames: Old Shufflefoot, Handsome Lou, The Good Kid
Played as: Maury Wills
Full Name: Maurice Morning Wills
Played as: Elmer Valo
Full Name: Elmer William Valo
Nicknames: Wall Crusher
Played as: Fred Lynn
Full Name: Fredric Michael Lynn
Nicknames: (With Jim Rice) The Gold Dust Twins
Played as: Johnny Pesky
Full Name: John Michael Pesky (Birth Name: John Michael Paveskovich)
Nicknames: The Needle, Mr. Red Sox
Played as: Ross Barnes
Full Name: Charles Roscoe Barnes
Played as: Joe Torre
Full Name: Joseph Paul Torre
Nicknames: Chicken (as in Chicken-Catcher-Torre)
Albert Pujols won handily thanks to his power numbers and Joe Torre and Maury Wills represented opposites in power and speed as they join the relatively unknown Ross Barnes in Round 5. Fred Lynn had a chance but ran into Pujols for the final series of the season. He and the others head to Round 4 for another chance to advance.
- Three different Peskys topped the batting charts with Pesky5 leading the league with a .313 batting average.
- Maury Wills had the speed department locked up, monopolizing the top ten in stolen bases. 6 Willses topped 100 SBs, Wills8 leading with 119.
- The Trevor Hoffman pitching for Pujols appeared in 62 games, saving 46.
- Albert Pujols had a 3-HR game.
- Maury Wills4 had 6 stolen bases in a single game, getting 3 singles from the 9-hole and stealing second and third base each time.
8/29 Cy Young7 of the Ross Barnes team tossed a no-no against Lou Boudreau.