Hall-of-Famers Rod Carew and Mike Piazza match their offensive skills with a wide assortment of hitters. Maybe joining them in Cooperstown someday are Joe Mauer and Scott Rolen along with Buck Herzog, Chief Wilson, George H. Burns, and the ageless Julio Franco.
Played as: Joe Mauer
Full Name: Joseph Patrick Mauer
Nicknames: None. Even on Player’s Weekend the “nickname” on his jersey was Mauer.
Played as: Buck Herzog
Full Name: Charles Lincoln Herzog
Nicknames: Choke ‘Em Charley
Played as: George Burns
Full Name: George Henry Burns
Nicknames: Tioga George
Played as: Julio Franco
Full Name: Julio Cesar Robles Franco
Nicknames: Methuselah, Moses, Father Time
Mike Piazza combined average and power to handily take the pennant. Mauer won his final game, sneaking past Rod Carew for second place. Owen “Chief” Wilson hung on for the final advancement slot. Rolen, Franco, Burns, and Herzog all head for Round 4 for a last shot to stay in the tournament.
- Mike Piazza8 took the batting title with a .326 average edging out Carew7 by a single point.
- Piazza6 led all hitters with 38 HRs and 80 RBIs. He also managed two 3-Home Run games.
- Buck Herzog had 8 players with 44+ stolen bases and Herzog3 led everyone with 70 SBs.
- Piazza7 ended the season with an 18-game hitting streak still in process.
- Trevor Hoffman5 got into 66 games for Piazza, saving a league-leading 50.
- George Burns defeated Buck Herzog 1-0 in a 22-inning marathon. That’s a lot of zeros!
- Chief Wilson3 had two 6-hit games both of which went 17+ innings.
5/20 Pedro Martinez7 walked the nine-hole Buck Herzog but allowed no other base runners.