Hall-of-Famer Tris Speaker had the fourth-most victories in Round One, giving him the top seed this season. His competitors are Ben Chapman, Matty Alou, Sal Bando of the Swingin’ A’s, Tom Daly, Bo Jackson, and two Hall-of-Fame catchers who qualified from Round Two, Roy Campanella, Ted Simmons. It takes a top-four finish to automatically advance to Round 5.
Played as: Tris Speaker
Full Name: Tristam Edgar Speaker
The Gray Eagle, Spoke
Played as: Ben Chapman (15)
William Benjamin Chapman
The Dixie Flyer, The Alabama Flash
Played as: Matty Alou
Mateo Rojas Alou
Played as: Sal Bando
Salvatore Leonard Bando
Played as: Tom Daly
Thomas Peter Daly
Played as: Bo Jackson
Vincent Edward Jackson
Played as: Roy Campanella
Played as: Ted Simmons
Ted Lyle Simmons
Tris Speaker dominated the season despite having a couple of fellow Hall-of-Famers to contend with. One them, Roy Campanella, came in second and will be joined in Round 5 by Ben Chapman and Bo Jackson. Despite coming in second among teams in batting average, Matty Alou finished in a tie with the other HOF-er, Ted Simmons, for seventh place. They, Bando, and Daly will have to make it through Round 4 to continue on in the tournament.
- Tris Speaker led all teams in batting average with .315 with Speaker9 at the top of all individual batters with a .340 average. His 200 hits, however, came in second to Speaker3’s 212.
- Four Speakers scored 100 or more runs and three of them were among the four Speakers who drove in 100.
- Bo Jackson2 led the league with 35 home runs.
- Bo Jackson6 struck out a stunning 232 times.
- Cy Young7 had a 30-5 record.
- Sal Bando8 had a 3-HR game against Tris Speaker.
- Roy Campanella7 had a 6 RBI-game.
7/25 Ted Lyons1 of Bo Jackon vs. Tom Daly in 9 innings.